Skip to main content

Ramos: Let's have two Ballon d'Or awards - one for Messi and Ronaldo and one for everyone else

Ramos: Let's have two Ballon d'Or awards - one for Messi and Ronaldo and one for everyone else


Sergio Ramos has joked there should be one Ballon d'Or award for Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo - and an alternative trophy for the rest of the world's footballers to fight over.

Real Madrid captain Ramos has a stack of individual accolades alongside the host of trophies he has won in his Santiago Bernabeu career.

But like so many great players of the last 12 years, he has been put in the shade by Messi and Ronaldo when it comes to the biggest awards.

From 2008, when Ronaldo first landed the Ballon d'Or, through to Messi scooping the honour earlier this month, the pair have had a near total duopoly, interrupted only in 2018 by Luka Modric's success.

Ronaldo has taken the prize five times and Messi six, prompting Ramos to jest that the pair should be left alone to slug it out for one trophy, while giving everyone else a chance of taking another.

"They could make a Ballon d'Or only for Cristiano and Messi depending on results...and another for the rest," Ramos told Mexican broadcaster TUDN. "In the end it would be better for football."


Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk split Barcelona star Messi and Juventus forward Ronaldo this year, taking second place in the vote conducted by France Football magazine.

But the star goal-getters have been the dominant figures in the world game for over a decade, establishing a rivalry for who will be remembered as the greatest of their generation.

Ramos played alongside Ronaldo for many years at Madrid, before the Portuguese moved to Italy in July 2018.

At the age of 33, and as he approaches 15 years as a Madrid player, the captain of Spain is targeting next year's Olympic Games football tournament and sees himself playing on for several seasons yet.

"I will play until the excitement goes, but my excitement is very great," Ramos said, according to Marca. "I will make the most of everything football has to offer for as long as I feel good. I look after myself well and I hope to continue for many years."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OBA GHA TOH KPERE!! Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II Welcomes First Child On The Throne After Three Years Of Installation

The Oba of Benin, Omo N’Oba Ewuare II, on Monday announced the arrival of a newborn baby into the royal house. The traditional ruler, who was installed on October 20, 2016, welomed a baby boy with his second wife Princess Iyayota (Obazuwa Nerie) Oba Ewuare who disclosed this at a press briefing at his palace through the Iyase of Benin, thanked God and the ancestors for the baby, noting that mother and child are alive, hale and healthy. “By the grace of the Almighty God and the benevolence of our ancestors, the Benin Traditional Council on behalf of His Royal Majesty, Omo N’ Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Ewuare II, Oba of Benin and the Royal Palace of Benin Kingdom, joyfully wish to announce that her Royal Highness, Queen Iyayota of Benin kindgom has been delivered of a bouncing baby boy,” the statement read “The infant Prince and his mother are in excellent health and good spirits. It is our prayers that the Prince will grow in good health, excellence and grace and that h...

UNSATISFIED Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Sarcastically Responds To 87-Rated FIFA 21 Card As Arsenal Talisman Receives Same Rating As Last Year

It’s safe to say Pierre-Emerick Aubemayang isn’t very happy about his FIFA 21 rating. The Gunners’ talisman has been handed an 87 rating for the new edition of the game – the same rating he was in FIFA 19. And the Gabon international has sarcastically responded to his card with a laughing face emoji. Aubameyang had another superb season for the Gunners, hitting 22 Premier League goals for Mikel Arteta’s side – the same he managed last year. However, the 31-year-old played a pivotal role in Arsenal’s FA Cup triumph, netting a brace against Chelsea to seal a first trophy in management for Arteta. Meanwhile, it is understood Aubameyang will ‘imminently’ sign a new three-year contract at the Emirates. It is understood he will become the club’s highest earner on his new deal, surpassing Mesut Ozil’s reported £350,000-a-week wages. The report adds Arteta has been integral in talks to keep the 31-year-old striker in north London. Former Arsenal head of football Raul Sanllehi is believed to ha...

FINALLY!!! Kobe Bryant And His Daughter Gianna’s Remains Released To His Family A Week After Helicopter Crash

The remain of Kobe Bryant and his 13-year old daughter, have been released to their family a week after they died in an helicopter crash that took nine lives in California. A spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office, told DailyMail that the remains of the 44-year-old NBA legend and his daughter, who lost their lives when the helicopter crashed into a hillside in Calabasas, California, on January 26, were returned after confirmation of their identity and a cause of death was determined by investigators. The remains of the pilot, Ara Zobayan, and passengers Christina Mauser, 38, Sarah Chester, 45, and her 13-year-old daughter Payton, also have been released, the spokeswoman confirmed. Passengers John Altobelli, 56, his wife Keri, 46, and their daughter Alyssa, 14, are ready to be released, but have not yet been picked up by family members, according to the coroner’s office. READ ALSO:  BREAKING!! China Finally Finds Cure For Coronavirus